Friday, February 19, 2010

‘From Paris With Love’ Should Be Called ‘From Paris With Guns’ By Art Byrd edited by Michele Ristich Gatts

I wasn’t sure if I was going to like “From Paris With Love” because I thought it would be over the top -- and it was. But as it turns out, that was a good thing. 
James Reece, played Jonathan Rhys Meyers, is a personal aide to the U.S Ambassador in France, but he has a side job as low-level operative for the CIA. Reece’s heart is set on becoming a full-fledged agent. His wish comes true, but so does the old adage “be careful what you wish for,” because he gets Special (and I mean “Special”!) Agent Charlie Wax, played by John Travolta.  
Travolta is unrecognizable with a bald head and goatee. His familiar voice gives him away. Wax is crazy as he starts shooting people in the first few hours he and Reece are together on assignment. Plus, he has strange scenarios regarding threats and plots that he tells Reece about.
From Paris With Love” is a shoot-and-blow-’em-up movie. Wax is wisecracking and will shoot anyone, including women. I thought the film would be a comedy, but it is really an action drama.
From Paris With Love” will most likely be thrown on the “should see film” scrape heap and missed by most theater-going audiences.
Personally, I would like to see Travolta and Rhys Meyers in a sequel. I enjoy their on-screen chemistry. Yet, I have a feeling there will be only one trip to Paris with love and guns.

No comments:

Post a Comment