Thursday, May 20, 2010

‘Robin Hood’ Gives Different Twist on Traditional Story By Art Byrd

A few months ago, I saw for the first time 1938’s “The Adventures of Robin Hood” with Errol Flynn. I thought it was great with the humor, boldness and the cool swordplay. Flynn had a presence felt throughout the film.

So when I heard there was going to be another Robin Hood film, I wasn’t jumping for joy -- especially with actor Russell Crowe as Robin. I am a fan of his, but he is so intense. Did I want an intense Robin Hood?

I thought maybe the film had a chance to be good because it’s directed by Ridley Scott. Scott and Crowe teamed up for “Gladiator.” Still, I am very leery of big epic films with thousands of extras. But my dad had an interest in seeing the new “Robin Hood,” so we went.

Director Scott gave the Robin Hood story a twist with King Richard the Lionheart played by Danny Huston; that let the audience know that this was a different story. The story is set before Robin hooks up with his band of merry men, when he is just a regular archer in the king’s army.

After leaving the army, Robin and some other soldiers, such as Little John (played by Kevin Durand) and Will Scarlet (played by ER’s Scott Grimes), come upon soldiers who were ambushed. One dying solider makes a request to Robin to deliver a sword to his father.  

Later, Robin assumes the dead soldier’s identity. The man’s wife is Maid Marian, played by Cate Blanchett. She has one of the film’s most interesting faces, which exudes beauty and strength. Her character sacrifices whatever it takes to help her town survive, and wins. A perfect fit to Crowe’s Robin.

I liked that Crowe’s Robin was a total gentleman to Blanchett’s Marian. His character was actually laid-back and only intense during the fight scenes.

The love story didn’t overshadow the action of France’s plot to conquer a corrupt England and its king.

You can’t review a Robin Hood film without writing about the villain. Actor Mark Strong, who I have mentioned in other recent reviews (he was a bad guy in the “Sherlock Holmes” and was also in the film “Kick Ass”) is downright nasty as Godfrey, who is plotting against England with the French. I hope that Strong doesn’t get typecast as villain all the time. I am sure he is much more.

Other strong performances were Max Von Sydow as Sir Walter Loxley and William Hurt as William Marshal.

Robin Hood is long, but I like that because the film took its time in telling the story. At the end, all questions were answered. The setup for a sequel is apparent.

If you are looking for romance and great epic action scenes, “Robin Hood” could make a surprising cinematic time on the big screen.

By the way, my dad really like the film and he is a huge Errol Flynn fan.

Edited by Michele Ristich Gatts

No comments:

Post a Comment