Friday, September 10, 2010

Let Us Introduce You Meet: Natalia Lepore Hagan Position: Actress/Dancer currently starring in The Youngstown Playhouse production of Chicago as Velma.

A BYRD’S EYE VIEW: How have you prepared for your role as Velma?


 NATALIA LEPORE HAGAN: I was really lucky to land Velma Kelly because she is so similar to me. She is sarcastic, witty, spunky and edgy, so it was easy to pull from my own experiences to create her character. I also took some pointers from the greats by watching clips on YouTube of Bebe Neuwirth and Brenda Braxton. But in the end our director, David Jendre, told us to make the characters ourselves and that’s what I believe the whole cast is doing amazingly.



ABEV: What can people expect from the playhouse production of Chicago?


NLH: People can expect to be wowed! The production is amazing, from the talent of the cast to the outstanding 14 piece orchestra on stage with us. The sound is booming, the girls look gorgeous, the guys look great. All together, David has put together a knockout. I don’t think Youngstown has seen a production like this in a while; I think it will be remembered for a long time. People don’t usually expect Chicago to be as funny as it is and that’s what I think will surprise them the most. It truly is a comedy and a drama smashed into two hours on stage with minimal scenery and huge talent.



ABEV: Has your background in ballet helped in your Velma role?


NLH: Absolutely! Velma is mainly the dancing role. Every time she shows up there’s no doubt something fun is going to happen. I have about three major dance numbers that I could have never pulled off without my training. There are some difficult tricks on a chair, some splits and high kicks that would have definitely been impossible.



ABEV: Where do you hope your performing career is heading?


NLH: I just got accepted into The Ohio State University’s dance program as a transfer student. I’m hoping this will really make me 100 times better, and that when I graduate I can go out into the world of performing. I am hoping to see myself choreographing major Broadway shows someday and maybe starring in one of those productions. I have had high hopes for my career ever since I was three. There’s no turning back now. I am just so happy to have been cast in this role; Velma Kelly has been a dream of mine for years. This show has really been one of the greatest experiences in my performing career so far.

 

Natalia Lepore Hagan was born and raised in Youngstown, Ohio. She was classically trained at Ballet Western Reserve for 14 years where she studied dozens of genres of dance. She attended Baldwin Wallace College last year for Music Theater but recently transferred to The Ohio State University for dance. She has been performing in Youngstown since she was four years old. You may have seen her in The Oakland's production of Reefer Madness, where she also was one of three choreographers.

The musical Chicago will play Sept. 10, 11, 12, 17, 18 or 19, at 7:30 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays and 2:30 p.m. on Sundays.  The Youngstown Playhouse is located at 600 Playhouse Lane, on Youngstown’s south side. For tickets contact the Playhouse for a reservation at 330-788-8739

Edited by Michele Ristich Gatts

No comments:

Post a Comment