Friday, June 25, 2010

“The Combination Lock for Success” by Art Byrd given at The Junior Civic League Annual Scholarship Luncheon-June 6, 2010



I would like to thank the Junior Civic League, especially Ms Mason for inviting me. Scholars, family and friends, it is my honor to be here. Congratulations.

Everyone in here has had a locker in school with a lock. Did anyone have a lock with a key you needed to open? See I was trying to date some people. At my high school, I had a combination lock, a Master Lock. Once you knew all three numbers to the lock it was easy to open.

After opening the lock day after day, you could open the lock with a feeling almost without looking at the numbers. I know I had days when I had things on my mind and when I tried to open the lock.  All of sudden, the lock wouldn’t open. Somehow, I had missed a number or two. Then, I had to refocus and had to forget about the stuff on my mind and concentrate on the numbers. Then, the lock would open.

This afternoon, I would like to talk with you about the combination lock of success.

Salesman Brian Tracy said “Life is like a combination lock, Your job is to find the numbers in the right order.”

You can have anything you want.
That is what success is about to have anything you want and enjoy your life. Most people will not achieve full success.
Will you be most people?

Anyone who has achieved success has not gotten there by themselves.
Scholars, there has been someone who has encouraged and cheered you on to do your best. There is a good chance that person is in this room this afternoon. And if they are not here. They are a phone call away or in your heart.

They gave you the numbers to the combination lock for your success. The person who gave me the combination lock numbers to part of my success is here. My dad.

When I wanted to make movies. I read every movie making book I find. I went to seminars and workshops. Finally, I decided to make a film. I wrote a film, got actors, a crew and equipment. I secured locations to film.

Even though, I did all the things to be prepare in making a film.

The reality of dealing with a crew and actors hit hard. I was trying to be nice to everyone. I was not getting what I needed to make the film. The crew wanted to place the camera one place and I wanted it placed in an another position. It was terrible. I wanted to be a filmmaker and I was watching my dream disappear before my eyes because of other people. I called my dad.

My dad is very laid back. He told me “that is what you get paid the big bucks.” I thought that is crazy because I am not getting paid for this. He said “you will.” My dad continued, he told me “to look at the things that went wrong and make sure that those things don’t happen again. He added “learn from the experience and use it.”

When I got off the phone with my dad. I felt a strength come over me. I got up and sat at my desk and looked at the script I wrote and started working on the next week's shooting schedule. We finished that film the way I wanted to.

Thanks to my dad giving me, the last number of the combination lock. I have been nervous going to set but I have never been scared to be on a set, ever.

Sometimes you can open the lock yourself. This is done by simply asking for things. Again, people don’t get what you want. Sometimes they would; if they just ask.

How many of you want to help to someone? The way someone asks you, can determine if you help them or not.

Scholars, many of you will go into a profession where you learn a skill from someone with expertise. Some of you will wait until the last two years of college and get an internship or learn on the job.

But, you can get a jump start on your career now by asking to meet someone who is doing what you would like to do. Find someone and call them. Ask the person if you could take a moment of their time. Then you can ask them about what they do.
What is their day like? How did they become successful? Their insight is so valuable. And all you have to do is ask. That is your last number to the combination lock.

Actor Will Smith says “If you are already ready, you never have to get ready."

I am a daydreamer. I dream in possibilities. I ask what could work out. Some people think of all of things that could go wrong. I think of all the things that can go right and work towards that.

It has helped me make short films which are films no more that 30 minutes. Others have made one or two shorts films. They complain how things went wrong and never make another film.

My daydreams are now more about visualizing things, the way I want them to happen. It is called visual thinking. It is like a GPS system used in cars you type in where you are, then you type in where you want to end up at. It is the same concept.

A Harvard University study, found that students who visualized performing advance tasks did it with 100% accuracy. While, those who didn’t visualize achieved 55% accuracy.

In closing, I would like to give each and every one of you, a gift. Is there something you would like to do or have? It could be travel, buy something, paint or buy stock or get a college diploma. Think about it. This will take just a minute. I will do it with you.

Close your eyes. See yourself doing the thing that just came to mind. Feel it, hear it. Take a quick moment and visualize.

Before you open your eyes. Keep that picture.

Open your eyes.

If you can visualize your goals and see that picture you want. You will always have the numbers of the combination lock for your success.

Good luck scholars and thank you for having me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment