Sunday, July 4, 2010

“Eclipse” Doesn’t Overshadow A Great Story. By Art Byrd

I have never read a “Twilight” series book. My first contact with the series was seeing “Twilight” at the theatre well after its release. I was surprised that I really enjoyed it. I am not a horror or vampire film fan except for “ Blacula” but that is another story.

“Twilight” had some depth with the love and angst among the characters. In the second film,  New Moon, I was okay with it. I didn’t enjoy watching Bella (Kristen Stewart) going through her pain from the leaving of Edward (Robert Patterson).

Now, there is “Eclipse” which has the classic love triangle going on between Bella, Edward (Robert Patterson) and Jacob (Taylor Lautner). The way the film handles the triangle is done very well.

In one scene, Edward and Jacob have a man to man about their situation with Bella and it was so honest. That is what makes the Twilight series so good is that you feel that there is a huge amount of honesty in them.

I liked that the film took time to give back stories of background characters and how they become vampires like Rosalie played by Nikki Reed and Jasper played Jackson Rathbone.

They are interesting twists such as the “newborns” which are newly made vampires who are stronger because of mix of vampire and human blood.

An army of newborns are coming to kill Bella led by Riley (Xavier Samuel) who is undermined by a vengeful Victoria played Bryce Dallas Howard whose great love was killed by Edward in saving Bella. The Cullens (vampires) must team up with Jacob and the wolves to take on the newborns.

Surprisedly, for all the action like the vampire biting and fighting; the film is not very violent. The makers of the Twilight films are smart enough to know their audience and that over the top violence is not needed.

“Eclipse” was more interesting for me because of who I was sitting around. There were three moms, their daughters and their girlfriends. The girls ranged from 10-12 years old sat in the row in front of me. The moms were seated one seat away from me in the same row.

There was one scene where Bella and Edward are making out heavy. One of the moms leans forwards and tells the girls to cover their eyes. It was funny to see a row full of young girls covering their eyes with their arms and hands.

In the movie, Edward tells Bella he can’t made love to her until they are married. The same mom leans forward and tells the girls, “ See wait until you are married.” I started laughing silently. I can’t make this stuff up. That is why I love being in a theatre. You never know what will happen.

I do know this, “Eclipse” keeps the ongoing story of love, vampires and wolves moving forward to keep the Twilight book reading fan satisfied and the non Twilight book reader like myself entertained.

Edited by Michele Ristich Gatts

No comments:

Post a Comment